December 17

Winter Break and More

Dear parents,

Before I begin, I would like to thank everyone for the warm welcome I received from both parents and kids. It was heartwarming and delightful. As we are entering our winter break, I would like to take this opportunity and connect with you once again about some of the things we did in class in the last couple of weeks. 

Since my arrival, we introduced a new morning routine in which we start each day with ten minutes of reading. The children are now exposing themselves to many new aspects of the Hebrew language such as “shtuzim” which are unique joke-rhymes and cultural cornerstones of Israeli culture such as “Aye Pluto”, “Kofiko” and more. When we come back from the break, we will start looking at Hebrew books that are available in our library for students to be reading during that block of time. 

Additionally, we have finished presenting our food projects which were absolutely amazing. The kids learned so much about their favourite foods, their history and the important place food has in one’s own heritage and identity. In the spirit of sharing, Hamoreh Saar even started making some of the recipes at home, fish & chips, chilli, pickles, Challah and the list goes on. 

In the last week we started learning about Israel’s national Poet; Chaim Nachman Bialik. We introduced some of his most famous poems such as “Nadneda”, “Makhelat noganim” & “Ken latzipor”. The kids even started making crafty crafts to embody different aspects of the poems. 

For winter break, the children will receive reading pages. These pages are optional. After winter break, we will start to work more intensely on the Hebrew calendar, how it differs from the Gregorian calendar and why, alongside the timing of our holidays, birthdays and major events during the year. 

Thank you again for your support, and should you have any questions feel free to email me.

Happy winter break,

Dana

Posted December 17, 2021 by ddoron in category Jewish Studies