April 24

Update about Public Speaking Grade 4 *New for 2023

Hello Grade 4 and Grade 4 families,

I know this event is a big one in terms of the Grade 4 journey into Public Speaking! When I say big, I mean BIG EMOTIONAL responses to it! For some public speaking sparks excitement, apprehension, butterflies-in-the-stomach, for others dread, terror, sick-to-the-stomach and the final group… complete indifference! With this in mind and as per Ms Gordon’s email, we are switching the format to relieve some of the pressure on Grade 4 students. Students will write their speech and present in class to their peers. I will mark it and then the top three marks in each class will be awarded 1st, 2nd and 3rd place. At a later date they will present to the Grade 3 class.

What can you do at home to help?

Most of the written work will be completed in class. Each student has received a planning pack to chunk down the planning with sentence starters and key vocabulary. We use the PEEL paragraph structure to build our points with evidence and students will be typing their essays on Google Docs so feel free to take a peak!

I will be encouraging students to present at home to practise their verbal and non verbal speaking skills. Here is some resources you could use at home:

Posted April 24, 2023 by fmellenthin in category Uncategorised