April 19

Student Blogging Challenge – March 2019

Week 5  Our School

Our school is named OJCS. It is a private Jewish school. At the OJCS you learn how to speak Hebrew, English, and French. We do tefillah every day and celebrate all the Jewish holidays.

We have a google account that they gave us we have to memorize it. We do lots of things on it like google docs, google slides. We are also doing some cool projects using iPads. We take part in a school STEAM Fair in the winter, and Public Speaking in the spring.

We also have events like Terry Fox run, Colour War, Spirit week. This year each class is taking part in a school reading challenge. Our class has already read over 1800 books and stories. We have already gone way past our goal of reading 600 books. All the classes pair up for Reading Buddy time once a month as well. Our class reads with children from a preschool near our school. They come to our library to read with us. The children are very cute and they like hearing the stories we read to them.

We also go to Hillel Lodge nursing home. We visit the residents once a month to do crafts and other fun activities. This year our class is doing special interviews with the residents about their lives. We will be writing their biographies and presenting them in a special ceremony in June.

Week 6  Music

MUSIC

My favorite song is No Brainer by DJ Khaled and Justin Bieber and I also like Shallow by Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga. I like some rap music but mostly pop.

I like music because I like sports, and I like listening to music to get me pumped before a game. I will usually listen to rock songs to get ready to play a sport. The beat in the songs is so high that it gets my adrenaline going and I get pumped and ready to do my best. My favourite artists are Drake and Michael Jackson. Speaking about music on Wednesday in Hebrew class my friends and I made a music video about Pesach using the Sunflower tune. It was really good I will show you what it looked like in a little video.

How music gets to me

Music is something that can influence your mood. Let’s say that I am listening to King by Lauren Aquilina it makes me feel sad and hopeful. I listen to Radio Gaga, the lyrics say that music changes through the years, and yes it is right. My family only listens to music from the 80s or the 90s. We think that the singers in 2019 don’t sing they just use autotune. Every time my brother goes to hockey he listens to music to get pumped. Radio Gaga says that the radio only plays bad music because the artists look good.  People only like the beat. They don’t actually listen to the music or the lyrics.

Week 7  Celebrating Passover

How I Celebrate Passover

Hi everyone, my name is Noa, and as you can tell by the title I am going to talk to you about Passover. Passover is a Jewish holiday that the Jews celebrate. There are many people that celebrate Passover, but today I will tell you how I celebrate Passover.

Most of the time I celebrate at my friend’s house. We read the story of Yetziat Mitzrayim. Yetziat Mitzrayim is the story that we read on Passover, we read it from the Haggadah. We also eat matzot (which is like bread, but flat like a cracker) and sing plenty of songs! I usually celebrate like that every year, but when I’m in Israel I celebrate a bit differently.

In Israel, I get to celebrate with my whole family, because they don’t live in Canada. I go to my grandparents’ house and we read the Haggadah, sing, eat, and have some fun!

That is how I celebrate. But I would like to tell you why the Jews celebrate Passover:

The reason why we Jews celebrate Passover is that, a long, long time ago, the Pharaoh ordered the Jews to build pyramids for him. But, he also ordered that all the ladies throw their male babies into the sea. But there was one lady who built a chest for her baby because she wanted someone to find him and take care of him. As the baby was in the chest, sailing in the sea, the daughter of the Pharaoh and named him Mosheh. Mosheh grew up in the Pharaoh’s castle. But one day, he saw a bush on fire. Apparently, God was there, talking to him, telling him to tell the Pharaoh to let the Jews out of Egypt. After a while, he agreed and went with his brother Aaron. The pharaoh did not let them go, so god had to release ten plagues. The first plague was blood, then frogs, then lice, wild animals, dead animals, boils, hail, locusts, darkness, and finally the death of the first born. After the last plague, he decided to let them go.

That is most of the story of Passover. I hope you learned a bit about Passover. Have a great day!

Here is an iMovie of our model Seder at Hillel Lodge

I celebrate Passover. Passover can be celebrated in many ways, I will be talking about a tradition that my family does not do, but I still will be talking about it, this tradition is when you put an orange on a seder plate. When you put an orange on a seder plate it means when a woman is leading the seder. Now I will be talking about the seder plate, the seder plate has foods like maror, charoset, carpas, shank bone, and an egg. All of the foods have a meaning to it but I will only talk about 1, the carpas. The carpas means celery, everyone does this, when you dip the carpas (the celery) in salt water, well you ask, why do we dip the celery in salt water, well this was when the Jews were in Egypt they were slaves and now there reminding us of the salty tears they were crying. In the Passover seder, you sing songs like ma nishtana, di enu, and much more. This is a holiday is so much fun! I would like to know what holiday you celebrate.

Week 8

CanadaPhoto by Hermes Rivera on Unsplash

Ontario, Canada is where we live. Canada was founded July 1, 1867, which makes Canada almost 152 years old, Isn’t that crazy! Canada is a very big country and has a population of 37.28m people. The biggest city in Canada is Toronto. I will be telling you some facts about Toronto. Toronto has lots of famous singers. Here are some examples: Drake, Shawn Mendes, and Jim Carrey.  Toronto is the capital of Ontario and did you know that Toronto is the only Canadian city with representation in 7 major league sports? Now we are going to tell you about Ottawa – where we live! We are going to tell you 5 facts about Ottawa:

1. Ottawa is the capital of Canada.
  2. In winter, the Rideau Canal in downtown Ottawa becomes the longest skating rink in the world (7.8 km).
  3. There are 35 major festivals in Ottawa. The Canadian Tulip Festival, held every May, is one of the most famous.
  4. Ottawa is the seventh coldest capital in the world.
  5. The most famous Canadian sport is ice hockey and most of the best players are Canadian.

Some facts about Canada…

• Languages: English, French.
  • National Symbols: Maple leaf, beaver
  • Canada is the second biggest country in the world, after Russia – measured by total area!
  • Canada has the largest waterfalls by water volume. These are the Niagara Falls.
  • The falls at Niagara are approximately 12,000 years old.
  • Canada has more lakes than the rest of the world’s lakes combined.

Thank you for reading our blog and we hope you learned a little bit about where we live – Canada!

Week 9 – Blog posts

Sleep

There’s a lot of talk these days about kids not getting enough sleep. There are many reasons why kids are so tired, and many examples of how this tiredness is affecting their lives. During sleep, your brain is storing new information and throwing away what’s not needed. It’s solving problems, repairing itself, resting and growing.

Kids need a specific amount of sleep so they can do these jo well. As children get older, we need less and less sleep. The average 5 year old needs 11-13 hours of sleep each night, with an average 10 year old needing 10-11 hours of sleep each night.

The exception to this kid/sleep rule is that a kid in the middle of a “growth spurt” may need more sleep than usual because your body is working hard to grow.

When kids don’t get enough sleep they usually get really tired, cranky and not able to control their mood, and on top of that, they may have trouble thinking and concentrating. They could have a hard time following directions and have a fight with a friend over something really really stupid.

Their school assignments could feel impossible, they may get sick more often or they may not grow as well.

So, what’s stopping kids from getting the sleep they need? Some of it appears to be a schedule-thing: kids may have too many activities or too much homework. Sometimes, they have to wake up very early because their parents go to work early.

But sometimes, the lack of sleep is because of stress or because of too much excitement from electronic devices.

Devices can affect kids sleep in a few ways…The blue light from devices lowers the amount of melatonin your brain produces every day. Melatonin is a hormone that controls the sleep/wake cycle. Reducing melatonin makes it harder to fall asleep. So it may seem harmless to check emails or texts before bed to calm you down, but it just confuses your brain to stay awake. Also, keeping a device within reach at nighttime can disturb sleep because of alerts in the night from texts, emails, or calendar reminders.

There are many things we can do to improve our sleep. Try going to bed at the same time every night. Doing a calming bedtime routine like reading or drawing. Try to avoid caffeine such as as….energy drinks, coke, chocolate, coffee. Parents should make sure that all electronics are turned off before bedtime and moved outside of the bedroom to avoid interrupting their kids’ sleep. Don’t exercise right before bed but do exercise earlier in the day because it helps you sleep better. Talk with friends or family about any problems or worries on your mind. And importantly, try not to nap during the day.

Free Time

I have plenty of things that I like to do in my free time, and I am going to tell you them so you could try them too!

Hi, my name is Noa, and I am going to tell you a bit about my favourite hobbies!

One of my favourite things to do is read. I started reading last year when I was in grade 3. I think it is a good way to spend your free time.

This is how I started reading:

Last year I wanted to try something new. I went with my parents to a bookstore and got a book. From that day, I started reading that book, and basically got addicted! When I finished that book, I started reading more, and more books and each one was bigger and bigger!

I think that you should definitely try reading if you don’t already! It is a very good way to improve your grammar and vocabulary skills!

One of my other hobbies is biking. I usually bike with my dad in the summer. I think biking is a really fun sport if you know how to bike!

Now, I will tell you why I like doing art:

I like doing art because it is very relaxing, even though it could sometimes be hard. I mostly draw after I do my homework.

You might think that art is very hard, but trust me, anyone can do it with a bit of practice!

Dance

I love dance. I dance at Capital city dance.

My favourite type of dance Hip-hop because it is cool!

I also love Contemporary dance. I do it with my friends Mara, Audrey, and Ellie.

I used to do gymnastics. But I started to get sick of it. I used to do it at the Ottawa Gymnastics Centre. I also love dance because it is great exercise.

History of dance

The dance was invented by Clive Campbell in 1783. It took him three years to think about it. It took him four more years to think of the name dance!

Famous dancers

There is a famous dancer named Chris Brown who won a medal in Asia. He is known for Moody Groovy!

Dance shows

There is a dance show called the world of dance. It is where 15 people are chosen to dance. This year a group called the lab won! they won $1 million. They are a group from ages 6 to 14. I was very happy when they won. They have the show every year. It only happens in the USA. The judges are named NOE, Jared and Jennifer Lopez! Jennifer Lopez is a famous singer she sang “Jenny from the block” and a lot of other songs! She is a very successful woman. She was also a dancer. She danced for a lot of her music videos. And one time every year she dances once on stage in World of Dance

Basketball

Basketball is a type of sport. The first game was played in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Between the Toronto Huskies and the New York Knickerbockers on November 1, 1946. The BAA merged with the NBL to the NBA. In 2019 there are 30 teams and only 1 Canadian team the Toronto Raptors. My favourite basketball players are Lonzo Ball, Lamelo Ball, Kyrie. James Naismith made the game at the age of 30 in 1891. James Naismith was born in Ontario, Canada. They play basketball in China. There are 2 video game called NBA 2k19 and NBA Live 19. The best white players in the NBA of all time is Steve Nash, Larry Bird, Jerry West, Dirk Nowitzki, Kevin Love, Jason Willams, Blake Griffin, and John Stockton.  The best black players are Kobe Bryant, Lebron James, Michael Jordan and a lot more. Most black people play the sport basketball. To get in the NBA you have to go to High School then go to the NCAA in University or College in the USA. Every year there is East vs West. In my opinion, the best player in the NBA is Giannis Antetokoumpo and Kyrie Irving. Every year in Canada I Capital Hoops where Ottawa U plays Carleton U. Michael Jordan is the G.O.A.T people say. I love basketball it’s my favourite sport I play basketball for the Gatineau Scorpions. There is a basketball league for women too. It’s called the WNBA

I am here to talk to you about time travel.Well you are

probably thinking I already know ALL about time travel but do you know the concept of time travel? The concept of Time Travel is turning time forward or backward to fix something we regret  or erase an event that negatively impacted humanity. Or maybe turning time forward to a neat event! If you want to spoil the future.

Time Travel

Here are some movies shows and books that have time travel in it:

Back to the Future 1, 2, and 3

Tut, Tut, Tut,

The Magic Schoolbus

Canadian Flyer

Magic Treehouse and

Escape from Egypt

time travel If I were to time travel I would travel to the times of the Jews in Egypt, the Medieval period with Kings and Queens and into the future with robots.  

Representations of the past  There are many things that people use to represent the past one of them is a coat of arms. A coat of arms is a symbol of maybe a tribe or a  family a country or a town.

Here is my Adobe Spark for time travel

Here is something that people said about time travel.

“I do believe in time travel. Time travel to the future. Time flows like a river and it seems as if each of us is carried relentlessly along by time’s current. But time is like a river in another way. It flows at different speeds in different places and that is the key to traveling into the future. This idea was first proposed by Albert Einstein over 100 years ago.”

Stephen Hawking

Stephen Hawking thinks four of the world’s physicists are wrong believing that time travel is impossible: Hawking sides with Sir Arthur Clarke, author of Space Odyssey 2001 who famously stated that “when a distinguished scientist states that something is impossible, he is very probably wrong”.  And a lot of distinguished scientists believe that just “Time travel is absolutely impossible”.

The big Question is can it happen!? Can we travel back in time to times and events that have already happened or to the future to events and times that have not happened yet!? That has always been a great wonder.

Well did you now that stars are so far away from earth that it could take 2000 years to get the light from the star down to your eye which means when you are looking at a star you are looking at light from about 2000 years ago!

The answer.

The answer is we don’t.  There have been no discoveries that prove that it cannot be done but no discoveries that say that it can.

To conclude

To conclude our time travel adventure:

I think that time travel is not possible without the help of technology but I know that there are many scientists working to discover time travel.!

Well at the beginning you were probably thinking oh well, of course, it is all just MAGIC and some science but now you know.!

Time travel used to be thought of as just science fiction, but Einstein’s general theory of relativity allows for the possibility that we could warp space-time so much that you could go off in a rocket and return before you set out.

Travel at faster than the speed of light certainly can have dramatic implications that are difficult to understand, such as time travel.

I like the sci-fi channel. Just science in general. I came across a segment on time travel and how time travel is possible. We create a spaceship that’s moving at almost the speed of light, we go in that spaceship in outer space, and we fly around for a year, when we get back to Earth, Earth would’ve aged 10 years.

Imagination makes us aware of limitless possibilities. How many of us haven’t pondered the concept of infinity or imagined the possibility of time travel? In one of her poems, Emily Bronte likens imagination to a constant companion, but I prefer to think of it as a built-in entertainment system.

Tap Dance

Hello my name is Audrey and I’m going to be talking about tap dancing. I love tap and I have been doing it for about five years.

Tap dance was invented in 1825-1852. Tap dance is a combination of English clogging, Irish step dancing, and African drum dancing. It really became its own kind of dancing from Vaudeville theatre in America.

There are different kinds of tap dancing, such as:, rhythm (jazz) tap, classical tap, Broadway tap and Iand post-modern tap. Tap dance can also be combined with ballroom dancing, contemporary and hip-hop to create really unique dance moves.

Did you know that there is such thing as National Tap Dance Day? It is held on May 25th every year and began In 1989.

Tap shoes

Definition of tap shoe: a shoe worn especially for tap-dancing and having a hard sole or a sole and heel to which taps have been attached. Taps are flat pieces of metal screwed onto the heels and balls of the bottom of any shoe. The sound the metal tap makes against the floor gives the dance its’ “tap” name. Some tap shoes are black and some are beige, some have Velcro and some have laces.  

Tap steps:shuffle ball change, shuffle hop step, wings, pick-up, four count pick-up, maxi ford, buffalo, maxi ford with pick-up, buffalo with pick-up ,scuffle and scuffle ball change are all tap moves.

Tap Dancing Made Famous

Some famous tap dancers include: Eleanor Powell, Gene Kelly, Fred Astaire, Sammy Davis Jr. and Gregory Hines.

.  

Eleanor Powell                                                                  Gene Kelly

Gregory Hines                                                                           Fred Astaire

Sammy Davis Jr.

In the early days of movies, there were many movies that had dancing in them. Some famous tap dancing movies include:

1. Billy Elliott (2000)
  2. Bojangles (2001)
  3. Singin’ in the Rain (1952)
  4. Swing Time (1936)
  5. Tap (1989)

Dance Studio

I tap dance at Capital City Dance. ( I have also taken hip-hop dance and contemporary dance).

Here is Capital City Dances logo

Video:

<iframe src=”https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3vAhBTHGaoeTnc3Q3FVY2hqTHVDMlloYVBQSkxoUDFCMlh3/preview” width=”640″ height=”480″></iframe>.

Thank you for listening and

I hope you now know more about tap dancing and maybe someday you’ll give it a try!

Tap Dancing

I’m going to be talking about tap dancing. I love tap and I have been doing it for about five years.

There are different kinds of tap dancing, such as:, rhythm (jazz) tap, classical tap, Broadway tap, and Iand post-modern tap. Tap dance can also be combined with ballroom dancing, contemporary and hip-hop to create really unique dance moves.

Did you know that there is such a thing as National Tap Dance Day? It is held on May 25th every year and began In 1989.

Tap shoes

Definition of tap shoe: a shoe worn especially for tap-dancing and having a hard sole or a sole and heel to which taps have been attached. Taps are flat pieces of metal screwed onto the heels and balls of the bottom of any shoe. The sound the metal tap makes against the floor gives the dance its’ “tap” name. Some tap shoes are black and some are beige, some have velcro and some have laces.  

Tap steps: shuffle ball change, shuffle hop step, wings, pick-up, four count pick-up, maxi ford, buffalo, maxi ford with pick-up, buffalo with pick-up, scuffle and scuffle ball change are all tap moves.

Tap Dancing Made Famous

Some famous tap dancers include Eleanor Powell, Gene Kelly, Fred Astaire, Sammy Davis Jr., and Gregory Hines.

.  

Sammy Davis Jr.

In the early days of movies, there were many movies that had dancing in them. Some famous tap-dancing movies include:

1. Billy Elliott (2000)
  2. Bojangles (2001)
  3. Singin’ in the Rain (1952)
  4. Swing Time (1936)
  5. Tap (1989)

Dance Studio

Here is Capital City Dances logo

Video:

The Toronto Maple Leafs
 I am blogging about the Toronto Maple Leafs. My favourite players on the Maple Leafs are Mitch Marner, Auston Matthews, and Morgan Rielly. Mitch Marner is number 16, Auston Matthews is number 34, and Morgan Rielly is number 44.

The Toronto Maple Leafs Stanley Cup History

The Leafs won the Stanley cup 13 times. They won in 1967, 1964, 1963, 1962, 1951, 1949, 1948, 1947, 1945, 1942, 1932, 1922, and 1918.

Toronto Maple Leafs Fans

The Maple Leafs fans are very loyal. When the Leafs are losing they do not cheer for a different team, they just keep waiting and cheering until they get good. I know that my family will cheer for the Leafs forever.

The Toronto Arenas

The Toronto Arenas were what the Leafs were called when they played in the first 2 years ever in the NHL
Standings

The Leafs are in the eastern conference Atlantic division and the order for the first 5 teams in the Atlantic division are…

1. Tampa Bay Lightning
  2. Toronto Maple Leafs
  3. Montreal Canadiens
  4. Boston Bruins
  5. Buffalo Sabres.

Carlton The Bear

Carlton the bear is the Leafs mascot. He was selected by the Leafs in the in 1995 and he is a polar bear. I think he makes the players happy and encouraged.

All-Star Game

In the last, all-star game John Tavares and Auston Matthews got chosen by their fans to go to 2019 All-Star Game. Matthews also got chosen to be the captain of one of the teams but sadly they lost.  

Swimming 
Hello my name is Olivia and I am going to be talking to you about Swimming
If you don’t know how to swim that is OKAY you are not alone.

Most of my friends don’t know how to swim.

I have been swimming even before I was one year old.

The place that I started swimming was a

My favourite stroke is Flip turns and backward dolphins kick.

When I am under the water I feel that I am free from my worries.

I always look forward to going swimming.

Swimming is best when you swim with a friend or a family member.

Sometimes when I go over to my friend’s house, we end up swimming.

The best part of vacationing is that we swim in the ocean and play in the sand.

Once my friend and I were jumping over waves and all of a sudden, I got pushed under water.

Sometimes my friend and I play a game under the water called “mermaids.” It might sound boring to you, but it is a lot of fun.

When I grow up, I want to have a swimming pool in my backyard with a very big fountain and animals on the walls and on the floor.

I have always loved watching the Olympics and seeing the athletes compete.
My favourite athlete in swimming is Penny Oleksiak. Did you know that Penny Oleksiak is 18 and she is competing?

Thank goodness that things had changed over the years.

History about swimming

Swimming emerged as a competitive sport in 1830 in England.

In 1828, the first indoor pool named St. George’s baths were open to the public.

Men were allowed for swimming in 1869. But women had to wait until 1912, to swim. That is a long time to wait.

From that day forward everyone loved swimming.

ANCIENT HOCKEY

The NHL started with the original six. The teams were Boston Toronto and much more.

Some people in my class think that the NHL started in 1917 which they are right but I did some research and they started organizing the NHL but they only started playing games in 1927.

THE BEST PLAYER IN THE NHL

d=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiQ2Lqm2prgAhUX84MKHboEB68QjRx6BAgBEAU&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.si.com%2Fvault%2F1981%2F10%2F12%2F826021%2Fthe-best-and-getting-better-at-20-wayne-gretzky-is-without-question-the-nhls-top-player-all-thats-left-to-ask-is-how-good-will-he-become&psig=AOvVaw1VywBMuWrDeF-53qkmfvHm&ust=1549116357279926https://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&

Wayne Gretzky was the best player in the NHL but now its Connor Mcdavid he was the highest goal scorer was so close of being the highest assists but then maurice richard was there to beat him.But most people say that if Mario Lemieux

Did get injured so many times and if he didn’t get cancer in his leg he would of been the best hockey player in the world.

TROPHIES BACK THEN

Today there is a trophy called the maurice richard trophy back then there was no maurice richard trophy.Today there are 26 trophies in the NHL.Connor Mcdavid leads the NHL the most hart trophies he has won 37% of hart trophies in the NHL.Andrei Vasilevskiy leads the NHL with 8 vezina trophies.

THE BEST GOALIES IN THE NHL

The best goalie used to be Patrick Roy

The second best is Ron Hextall.Patrick Roy was one of the goalies in the world to score.Ron Hextall also scored a goal but Patrick Roy still managed to be the better goalie.Patrick Roy was number 33 and Ron Hextall was number 27.Patrick Roy played for the Montreal Canadiens and Ron Hextall played for the Philadelphia Flyers and also for the Montreal Canadiens.

Basketball

Basketball was invented by James Naismith at age 30, in 1891. Basketball is a global sport meaning it’s played all around the world.

It’s most popular in the USA

they also have very popular teams like the Los Angeles Lakers, the New York Knicks, Golden State Warriors and more. In Canada, they have the Toronto Raptors. I also like to play with my brothers Jack and Sammy

I also watch a lot of games with my brothers. Two of the best players, also my favourite, are LeBron James and Stephen Curry.  My favourites teams are the Toronto Raptors and the Lakers. In basketball, they also have custom made jerseys and they have their number on the back.

Michael Jordan is one of the most popular players

in basketball. Basketball is also popular in the Philippines and Australia.